Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Once more on adoption

Jesus said to her, "Do not cling to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to my brothers and say to them, 'I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.'" John 20:17

This is a pivotal statement. The risen Jesus announces to Mary Magdalene the astonishing new relationship that's been created by his atoning death and resurrection. The disciples -- that bedraggled band of fearful misfits who abandoned their master at the hour of his greatest need -- Jesus now calls, "my brothers." His Father has now become their Father. This isn't a natural-born family relationship. It's adoption. An act of unmerited kindness toward those who by nature are enemies of God.

But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God. John 1:12-13

No comments: