Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Piper clarifies

By way of clarification, I would say: In an Arminian institution, Arminians should be allowed to teach. But in institutions that regard Arminianism as defective view of God’s grace, they should not be allowed to teach. Or, more broadly, in an institution that thinks the truth is better served by having advocates of Arminianism and Calvinism, both should be allowed to teach.
BUT,

In my 22 years of formal education from age 6 to 28 (Summit Drive Elementary School, Greenville Junior High School, Wade Hampton High School, Wheaton College, Fuller Seminary, University of Munich) it became increasingly clear to me that diverse theological positions on the same faculty of a Christian institution diminished the importance of those differences.

For some issues, that is good. For others it is not. Which those are is one of the great challenges of every generation.
John Piper, Calvinism, Arminianism, & Education

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I have the deepest respect for John Piper, I think that he is falling into the same problem that Whitfield and Wesley got into, and that is argumentation for the sake of doctrinalism. I don't think that he is looking at Arminianism the way that most Arminians would and is creating argument where there really need not be. Arminians don't disagree on the need for a crucified Jesus, only really that the perspective is different on how salvation comes about. But let's stop arguing, and concentrate on allowing God's atonement to be spread to all who would have it.

Stephen Ley said...

Sung Min, I agree with your broader point. But I agree with Piper that it's appropriate for churches or seminaries that bind themselves to an explicit Confession or system of doctrine to be able to use that as a criteria for who gets to preach or teach in that institution.

Anonymous said...

While I agree that it makes things clearer, one thing I appreciated about attending a seminary with so many professors from diverse theological backgrounds was that there was room to debate and learn and to respect our differences which did not seem so significant to overcome. I guess that is why I appreciate being a Methodist since we embrace diversity instead of stayong clear from it.