Monday, August 25, 2008

It's Biden

I'm probably one of the few Americans that hasn't been watching the Olympics or the endless speculation about Obama's choice of running mate (I doubt if I missed too much). I don't plan on spending a lot of time watching the conventions either. Wifey and I were at Disney this weekend where presidential politics didn't seem to be big news. Maybe because most there were European tourists enjoying the buying power of the Euro (currently 1 Euro = 1.48 USD). I did see one guy wearing an "I'm fired up!" Obama t-shirt, but that paled in comparison to the hundreds of adults and children wearing the colors of their favorite football club. I didn't count, but I'd guess Liverpool had the most fans at Epcot on Saturday.

When I saw back at the hotel that Obama picked Biden it struck me as a wise choice even before reading this from David Brooks. I was particularly interested to read about Joe Biden's working-class upbringing in Scranton (I married a Scranton girl and recognize the world Brooks describes). So. Well done, Senator Obama. But I'm betting McCain will make an equally wise choice, and that in the end the running mates won't make much difference in how people vote.

And while we're on the subject of politics, here's a good word from Stephen Nichols.

No comments: