Thursday, October 1, 2009

Over there?

Today's horrifying news from Indonesia reminded me of the following story told by Mark Labberton in his book The Dangerous Act of Worship: Living God's Call to Justice (see also here and here).

I recently chatted with a stranger in a grocery store checkout line. He lamented how tired he was and how hard he had been working. He told me about the constant travel involved in his job and how it made things difficult for him. Then, a little self-conscious of his complaining, he said, "Oh well, I guess things could be worse." An enormous earthquake in Pakistan was all over the headlines of the newspapers around us at the checkout counter, so I said, "Yes—we could be living in Pakistan right now." The man's instant retort was, "Oh, I would never be that stupid!"

The comment was shocking yet revealing. Since I didn't know the man at all, I can't know exactly what he meant. But what struck me on the surface was the range of his apparent assumptions: (a) where people live is a matter of choice; (b) everyone is free to make "smart" choices about where we live; (c) it would be stupid to choose to live in a place of suffering. This man's comments capture the warp of woof of how many in America see themselves in relation to a staggeringly needy world: "They live over there. I don't. Their reality is not my reality. I don't want to know or share their reality. I am blessed. I would think they would want to be blessed too. I guess they are just stupid or stuck in their circumstances. Too bad. That's why they suffer, I guess. I sure wouldn't choose that." (pp. 78-79)

What's Labberton's point? That disciples of Christ are to have a radically different mindset.

The gospel recontextualizes where we live. Knowing that where we live matters, God provides the good news of Jesus Christ to change our address. We didn't choose it; we were chosen. We didn't love God, but he loved us. Once we were strangers; now we are friends. Once we were far off; now we have been brought near. Once we had not received mercy; now we have received mercy (see 1 Peter 2). Everything is different. (pp. 79-80)


FYI Mark Labberton will be speaking about this book at Memorial Presbyterian Church this Sunday at 9:45am. He will also be preaching at 11:00am and 4:00pm. If you're in the West Palm Beach area please consider joining us.

No comments: