Thursday, July 2, 2009

Just in time for July 4th

USA Today has a story on the latest specialty Bible hitting bookstores -- the American Patriot's Bible.

Read it here.

With commentary from noted exegetes like Grover Cleveland, Douglas MacArthur and Dick Cheney it sounds like a great gift for anyone who thinks America is Old Testament Israel and George Washington was Moses. The editors tout this as a Bible for people who love America and love the scriptures. Well I love both, but I'm with Rod Dreher:

This corruption of Holy Scripture for nationalist ends is deeply offensive, and even dangerous. I never want to have to choose between my country and my Lord, but if that day comes, I hope I have the courage to choose Christ. To the extent that this Bible's publishers conflate serving Christ with patriotism, thereby implying that a Christian might never have to make that choice, they are corrupt, and corrupters.

No comments: