Friday, December 5, 2008

"I'll have a grande half-caf skinny extra-hot latte two Splendas"

I'm often baffled at the drinks ordered by my fellow customers at Starbucks. I'm a simple creature of habit. I order a tall latte, give the cashier three bucks and he/she gives me a penny back. This morning I stopped at the store on Clematis. Local TV anchorman Tim Malloy was ahead of me in line and ordered something called a triple-dry cappucino. Huh? Weren't you thinking of triple-dry chardonnay, Tim? I did some research and it turns out that a "dry" cappucino is one with more foam and less milk. Conversely, a "wet" cappucino or latte or caramel macchiato has less foam and more milk. Don't tell me you've never learned anything at this blog.

Here's a nifty list of coffee jargon to help you order like a pro:

Starbucks Drinks Simplified (kinda)

4 comments:

JenLo said...

And I thought I knew coffee ;) I'd never heard of that either, even though I tend to branch out a bit!

Anonymous said...

he he that's funny

Anonymous said...

Jess D from Urban Youth Impact just sent me your link...

I just started working at Starbucks a few months ago.... and a triple dry cap is NOTHING..... People get crazy about "their" drink - and sometimes as I get frustrated with all of the modifiers - I remind myself - without all of that, I would not have a part time job, with benefits.... So I serve that Quad Decaf Venti 2 pump vanilla 2 pump mocha nonfat 136 degree no foam with whip and a dash of nutmeg on top latte, with a smile - most days

Stephen Ley said...

Funny! You and your barista colleagues have my respect! That's one reason why I try to keep it simple and always say thank you.