Thursday, April 22, 2010

Almost as good as being there

I've been listening my way through two recent conferences. Together for the Gospel (T4G) was last week in Louisville. I especially recommend Mark Dever's address "The Church is the Gospel Made Visible." Hmmm, sounds a lot like Newbigin's idea of the local church as "hermeneutic of the gospel." I'm also enjoying Ligon Duncan's talk on the Patristics. There were one or two other high-profile pastors you might want to check out too.

T4G 2010 audio/video


Also last week was the 2010 Wheaton Theology Conference on "Jesus, Paul and the People of God: A Theological Dialogue with N.T. Wright." And dialogue it was. Case in point was Richard Hays' sharp criticisms of Wright's methodology. If you want to hear Wright preach, listen to his chapel message on Ephesians 1:10, 2:10, 3:10. Most noteworthy was Kevin Vanhoozer's thoughtful and witty attempt to encourage rapprochement between Wright and his Reformed critics. I hope they were listening. Vanhoozer said it's time to "beat diatribic swords into dialogic plowshares." I love the sentiment and the alliteration!

Wheaton audio/video

No comments: