Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The household of faith

"So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith." Galatians 6:10


It's quite something to be deeply embedded in a multigenerational community of faith. On Sunday I was helping out in our church's nursery. I was a witness to the baptism of many of the little ones crawling or toddling around me, and I've made vows to share in the responsibility for their nurture in the faith. One of the toddlers was my son, Benjamin.

Today I attended the memorial service for a member of our church who died suddenly. I didn't know the woman whose death we mourned, and whose life we celebrated, particularly well, but I do know well her daughter and son-in-law. They've welcomed my wife and I into their home for meals, and they brought us meals after the births of both of our children. And their daughter is our son's favorite babysitter.

So, in an organic and tangible way the extraordinary woman who's now home with the Lord has touched our lives and the lives of our children. The blessing comes full circle. This is the Church.

No comments: