Friday, October 26, 2007

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Wow! I don't know if The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, hereafter TAOJJBTCRF, is one of the best American films of recent years or just an ambitious exercise in style. It will take a second viewing to decide. Even if the latter it's pretty amazing. TAOJJBTCRF is based on a historical novel about the last legendary days of Jesse James and his equally legendary death at the hands of Robert Ford. Critics have noted the literary quality of the film, and after seeing it I see their point. It's hard to describe, but the way scenes played out and were strung together felt like pages turning. I know nothing about writer/director Andrew Dominik. Is this the astonishing debut of a late-blooming cinematic genius? Who knows. I do know that D.P. Roger Deakins is a genius, and this movie has one arresting image after another. I'm sure this project never would have gotten made without the star power and producing muscle of Brad Pitt. Pitt is quite astounding in his mastery of James' facial tics and mannerisms. But the revelation is Casey Affleck, proving to be the most talented actor in the family, by turns pitiable and contemptible. Much of the acting by the two male leads is done with the eyes and subtle nuances of speech. The violence is sparing, but uncomfortably jarring when it happens. One gunshot made me literally jump in my seat. There are some electric moments and the film opens with an adrenaline-pumping set piece, but the action definitely drags at times. This could be an example of a great 100-minute film lurking within the 160-minute running time. However TAOJJBTCRF never lost my interest, but several people walked out muttering well before the final credits rolled when I saw it earlier this evening. The cast is full of fine young actors, including some of my favorites like Zooey Deschanel and Sam Rockwell, and it was great fun to see a weathered Sam Shepard playing Jesse's big brother Frank James. Casting Shepard links TAOJJBTCRF to it's 70's pretensions. Yes, Malick and Days of Heaven (coincidentally) must have been a huge influence. I'm reminded again of how much of a self-referential art form cinema is. There's an example of stunt casting too. That's when someone shows up in a film that distracts more than enhances. You know the moment when you look at the person next to you and say, "hey, isn't that .....?!" Here it's James Carville playing Missouri Governor Crittenden. Yes, that James Carville.

So what does it mean? I've read several interesting takes on that from better writers than myself. Here's one by Barbara Nicolosi

STEPHEN'S GRADE A-

1 comment:

Political Umpire said...

Sounds like an interesting film, I will have to look out for it. Malick, incidentally, is one of my cinematic heroes, so if the film even vaguely resembles one of his, I will definitely need to see it.