Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Osteen on 60 Minutes

Just watched Byron Pitt's 60 Minutes report on Joel Osteen. Nicely done by the interviewer and Osteen acquitted himself reasonably well I thought. I believe his emotion toward the end was sincere and I don't doubt he's helped some people. He seems like a genuinely nice guy. I wouldn't go so far as to say, as Michael Horton did, that he's teaching heresy. Frankly, I don't think I could stand reading enough of his books or watching enough of his sermons to make that assertion. I do wish Pitts would have asked him what he does with the millions in royalties from his book sales, etc. I suspect la familia Osteen is getting very, very wealthy. Say what you want about Rick Warren, he gives all his away to advance the kingdom (as does John Piper).

My biggest problem with Osteen is not that he may be getting wildly wealthy by preaching a different gospel -- (2 Cor. 11:4, Gal. 1:6-7) -- it's with calling what he leads a church. Joel may be a member of the invisible church universal, but by any broad historical standard taken from scripture, and confessions and creeds throughout the ages, Lakewood Church doesn't fit the definition of a visible New Testament church. One which is more or less pure, according as the doctrine of the Gospel is taught and embraced, ordinances administered, and public worship performed more or less purely in them.* Given the choice between worshiping at the Catholic church down the street or Lakewood, I'd choose St. Ann's in a heartbeat. It wouldn't be as inspiring or have that aura of success that Americans love, but at least something recognizable of historic Christianity would be present.


*The Westminster Confession of Faith (1646)


UPDATE: Joel Osteen and the Glory Story: A Case Study by Michael Horton (PDF)

No comments: