Sunday, January 24, 2010

Luther on holding fast to Christ alone at the end

When the hour comes when our life and work must cease, when we have no longer to stay here, and the question arises, where do I now find a plank or bridge by which I can pass with certainty to the other life--when you reach that point, I say, do not look around for any human way, such as your own good, and holy life or works, but let all such things be covered by the Prayer of our Lord and say of them: "Forgive us our trespasses" etc., and hold fast to Him who says: "I am the Way."

See that in that hour you have this Word firmly and deeply engraved in your heart, as though you heard Christ really present and saying to you: "Why should you seek another way? Keep your eyes fixed on Me, and do not trouble with other thoughts about how you may get to heaven. Thrust all such thoughts entirely away from your heart and only think of what I say: 'I am the Way.'"

Martin Luther, Luther's Works (Vol. 45)

No comments: