Monday, January 28, 2008

"we very easily misinterpret"

The Kilns, etc
24/3/55

Dear Mary

Just a line of sympathy and encouragement on the impending operation. Extra faith has been given to meet crises before, and I pray that it will be now. Be very much on guard against the growth of a feeling that Fr.A. or anyone else "Does not sound interested". When we are in trouble we easily think this, don't we? And at all times, we very easily misinterpret expressions of face and tones of voice. Often, too, the person we speak to is at that moment full of troubles we know nothing about. Fr. D'Arcy and I were both members of the Dante Society at one time and I have also spoken on the same platform, so I know him pretty well. He is a most interesting man and an excellent speaker.


My prayers always,
Yours
Jack



C.S. Lewis, Letters to an American Lady, p. 39

No comments: