Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Well I've been warned...

I've been pleased not to have been afflicted by all of the hysterical election year e-mails that I've read about at other blogs. You know...the ones that begin "forward this to everyone you know!!!" with key words in all caps i.e., MUSLIM, ATHIEST[sic], RADICAL, etc.

Today this gem (which apparently has been circulating for a while) arrived in my inbox. Interestingly though, it didn't come from a member of the "religious right", but from someone who's expressed hostility to Christianity, the Bible and the church. I'm not sure what this person's political views are, but it goes to show that lack of discernment and/or eagerness to believe the worst isn't limited to any one group.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've gotten this exact e-mail twice within the last six months or thereabouts. Both times, it was from individuals who would pretty accurately be identified as part of the religious right. From one of the senders, I also received ah hysterical letter warning of a "gay Jesus film." It was also verified by Snopes as being false.

You've probably also (perhaps via a chain malier) heard about Schwarzenneger, and how his father was friends with one J. Mengele, and involved in nefarious Nazi sympathizing. Even if this is true, are we really that liable for the sins of our fathers? If we are running for public office, I guess we are. If I ever run, I'm sure some reporter will do their homework, and shove a microphone into the face of someone I went to kindergarten with. Interesting.

JenLo said...

I got that one a few weeks ago, ignored it, then got it again yesterday and looked it up on snopes. Sure enough, it was there!

Kimberly said...

It's been awhile since I''ve gotten any such thing, but afraid things will heat up again soon...so unhelpful to the discussion!!