Monday, February 25, 2008

The Coen's sandbox

We're very thankful to all of you out there for letting us continue to play in our corner of the sandbox.
- from Joel Coen's acceptance speech last night


I made it a point not to watch the Super Bowl this year. That's because my overhyped event of choice is the Academy Awards. Each year the connection between what I love about movies and this overblown spectacle is less and less, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't plan on watching again next year when they pass out those golden statuettes.

The highlight this year was seeing Joel and Ethan Coen score an impressive trifecta of wins: best adapted screenplay, best director and best picture. Sadly, their long-time editor Roderick Jaynes couldn't make it 4 for 4. Pretty amazing for a couple of nerdy kids from Minneapolis, who grew up spending the frigid Midwestern winters grooving on classic Hollywood fare from the likes of Preston Sturges and Frank Capra. Despite the "aw shucks" demeanor of Brothers Coen, I'm sure it was a gratifying experience for them and their families (Mrs. Joel Coen a/k/a Frances McDormand looked especially thrilled). For all the cinematic virtuosity and style that makes them particular favorites of film buffs, I think they'd want to be known simply as great storytellers. Which they are. And for one night, at least, the entire sandbox was their's.

No comments: