Thursday, February 14, 2008

My Valentine

"...my faith has got me bound to your grey blue eyes."

- Dave Matthews




St. Paul called marriage a profound mystery. Perhaps that's because he was never married (as far as we know). Actually, I think he had it right -- it is a profound mystery and it points us to an even greater one (see Ephesians 5). Why is it that when I spot Shannon across a crowded room, or hear her sunny voice on the phone, or simply gaze at her face across the table, I feel a deep sense of completeness and joy? That's not to say we haven't had some agonizingly tense moments when gazing was the last thing we felt like doing. How is it that someone I didn't know existed for most of my life, has now become the most important person in the world? She is. So unlike me, yet bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh. So strange, yet so familiar. So unexpected, yet so inevitable.

Oh we get on each other's nerves sometimes, but not as often as one would think considering: I have a mania for neatness, she can tolerate a certain amount of clutter -- I throw things away (often indiscriminately), she saves everything -- I get out of bed "loaded for bear", it can take her a good hour to come fully awake (we've learned not to book early flights). The way I look at it, God knew we were uniquely suited to further each other's sanctification. I wouldn't want it any other way. Happy Valentine's day, darling! Your smile makes my heart sing. So glad you're mine.